It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:47 pm

WoW Chat

WoD To fly, or not to fly - that is the question.

General WoW chat

Moderators: |INC| Clan Leaders (MIR), |INC| WoW Officers

What would you like to see in WoD?

Would you like to see the ability to fly in Draenor at level 100.
67%
Would you like to see that we are not able to fly at all in Draenor.
33%

Total votes : 6

WoD To fly, or not to fly - that is the question.

Unread postby Lunalion » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:00 am

Hello fellow WoW gamers and addicts. :lol:

With the up and coming introduction to "Warlords of Draenor", Blizzard are now contemplating to take away our flying mounts. However only for the new zone, Draenor. Lets take a moment to let people rejoice, cry, scream or whatever they feel appropriate.
Now that is over with, take a moment and breate - nothing is yet final.
However it begs the question... How do YOU feel about it, what are your thoughts?

There we're mixed reactions in the past when flying got introduced. Everyone loved it and sure enough everyone hated it.
It now became a farmers universe, fly around, drop down pick up your node and off we go again.
We could now go back into previous expansion areas and prey on weaker opponents.
Most of all, the distance to things became smaller and we could now enjoy the scenery in a different perspective.

However, the world became smaller, and yet so more desolate. Zones felt more empty as normal riding mounts where a thing of the past once you hit your level cap.
It felt like the social aspect of the zones disappeared, zones became more arid and empty.
Take Desolace, Barrens, Winterspring, Felwood, Un'Goro Crater and many other zones that now feel empty apart from the few people left questing. Those are gorgeous zones in my opinion, that they have lost their flair. Take Isle of Timeless. Full of people, and it feels at times crowded - because you cannot fly!

On one hand I anquish at the thought of not being able to fly around herbing and mining, to feel the wind in my face - on the other hand I welcome the challenge, of actually having to farm materials, and see the zones filled with people. To notice all the hard work Blizzard have put into designing the zones, find those small cracks and caves and explore them.

What are your thoughts?
Fear is not real, it is a product of the thoughts you create!
Lunalion
|INC| WoW Officer
|INC| WoW Officer

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:00000000
Origin Account Name: N/A
InGame CSS Name: N/A
WoW Character Name: Lunalion / Whitelighter
Playstation Network Username: N/A
XBOX Live Gamertag: N/A
Twitter: N/A
iMessage_id: N/A

{ SO_SELECT }

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Digg Digg Share on Delicious Delicious

Re: WoD To fly, or not to fly - that is the question.

Unread postby Grandma » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:06 am

As I've never experienced the flying mounts personally it's a bit difficult for me to give a true feeling on it, but based on your above description it sounds like it may be better for the mounts to be gone. That said, I'm not sure what they could then offer to all those who spent £20 per mount - seems a lot of making up to do to me!
Grandma
Community Leader(MIR)
Community Leader(MIR)

Blog: View Blog (5)
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:9730917
Origin Account Name: madadamuk
InGame CSS Name: |INC| Grandma
Playstation Network Username: MadAdamUk
battle.net: madadamuk#2560
Guild Wars 2 Account Name: grandma.5296
Twitter: madadamuk
iMessage_id: admin@inc-gaming-clan.com

Unread postby Xen » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:18 am

I was only introduced to WoW during MoP about a year ago so I can't say from much of retrospective point of view. That said I love flying and can't really imagine the game without it. Timeless isle does feel cramped as you said sometimes but I don't think that would really changed if you could fly. It would change the ease of chests etc. though which is a big point so I'm kinda on the fence about it. Lack of flying allows them to make it more challenging and add fun little mechanics in (like the albatrosses)
Xen
CSS Member
CSS Member

Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:39299612
InGame CSS Name: Xen
WoW Character Name: Elynne/Alyanna / Druanon
XBOX Live Gamertag: Xenons Spork
battle.net: Xen#2784

Unread postby GeneralZod2813 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:45 pm

I have been playing WoW since the early beta i have been through all there changes and hand on heart i adore flying mounts. I was there back in vanilla running across Ashenvale to Barrens at level 40 just to get to Razor fen downs to find the group disbanded upon arrival. The nostalgia people have often clouds there judgement when wanting "the old ways" back.

Flying did not ruin this game, it made the game feel much more open to me, If they removed flight tomorrow the game wouldn't change in the ways that people think it would. Places would still feel barren as people simply send 2 and receive a summon to there location. Its people laziness that killed the ground mounts.

Also as grandma said people have spent over £100 to have Flying mounts, i would be very upset to be told i cant use them in the future just because blizzard don't want me moving so fast over there worlds. Originally the reason was "we've made this beautiful world we want you to appreciate it from the ground up". I disagree with this is see so much more of there beautiful worlds from above, its quit e simple they want to slow you down to increase play time thus profit.

Flying mounts are in the game and they should be in the game to stay, if they want people using mounts more often its the LFR and Dungeon finder that needs to disappear not flying mounts.
GeneralZod2813
Lives Here
Lives Here

Unread postby griffin20036 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:32 pm

I was under the impression that flying would only initially disappear until patch 6.1 or 6.2 and would be then reintroduced as the end of a quest chain that was to be introduced on hitting 100, have they changed their minds on this?

Sent from my ST21i using Tapatalk
griffin20036
CSS Member
CSS Member

Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:8670067
Origin Account Name: griffin20036
InGame CSS Name: GRiFFiN / Hunter
battle.net: Malvalek#2891

Unread postby griffin20036 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:17 pm

To further add to my post since I can't edit it anymore http://www.wowhead.com/news=223780/no-flying-in-draenor-until-6-1

Sent from my ST21i using Tapatalk
griffin20036
CSS Member
CSS Member

Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:8670067
Origin Account Name: griffin20036
InGame CSS Name: GRiFFiN / Hunter
battle.net: Malvalek#2891

Return to WoW Chat