It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:43 pm

SWTOR Chat

SWTOR goes Free to Play

Moderators: |INC| Clan Leaders (MIR), |INC| SWTOR Officers

Re: SWTOR goes Free to Play

Unread postby flaming badger » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:43 pm

Been trying to get on the SWTOR site to cancel my subscription, I'm guessing hundreds of others are too as it's dead!
"He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy"!
flaming badger
|INC| Subscriber
|INC| Subscriber

Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:7511340
InGame CSS Name: flaming badger

{ SO_SELECT }

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Digg Digg Share on Delicious Delicious

Unread postby Half-bak3d » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:20 pm

Just had a glance over swtor.com and its forums seeing as I got an email about my free cartel points.

Not going back to swtor is further substantiated by the following:

Getting HK-51 requires a subscription. No sub - no access to one of the bigger features of 1.5 (its named after him ffs)

At the moment theres a bug that when you do get him - you've got a chance that he'll have absolutely no equipment, when he should have full orange with blue lvl 51 mods.

My 500 cartel points are worth less than a fiver. Thanks for the generosity Bioware/EA. I pay a sub of 8.99 for at least 7 months and you give me less than a fiver back when you go f2p.

f2p is so restrictive its insane. All those titles you earned over the last however many months: You'd have to pay to be allowed to display them. I know its a tiny point but thats what makes it absolutely mental, its not even functionality its just money grabbing.
Half-bak3d
Lives Here
Lives Here

Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:00000000

Unread postby Translucent » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:30 pm

A friend started playing it and told me it's now Free to Play. He lent me his copy so it's installing now. If my craptop will run it I'll see some of you in game I guess :)
Translucent
Lives Here
Lives Here

InGame CSS Name: Translucent

Unread postby MrYellow » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:18 pm

I think the chance that you'll see one of us online is a low at the moment Trans. Most of us switched to Guild Wars 2 ;)
MrYellow
|INC| Tech Team
|INC| Tech Team

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:25389597
Origin Account Name: MajYellow
InGame CSS Name: |INC| Maj. YЭLLOW
battle.net: MrYellow#2795
Guild Wars 2 Account Name: MajYellow.4761

Unread postby Translucent » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:04 pm

Boooooo :( Guild Wars 2 isn't even that great, from what I've heard anyway :P
Translucent
Lives Here
Lives Here

InGame CSS Name: Translucent

Unread postby Orbicon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:33 am

The free to play model for swtor is really restricive compared to guild wars 2. The only way to really enjoy swtor is to get a sub imo.

I must admit I have been debating on getting the expansion to swtor but I think I would only do this if other INC members was up for going back to a galaxy far far away....:wink:
Orbicon
|INC| WoW Officer
|INC| WoW Officer

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:34151867
InGame CSS Name: |INC| Orbicon
WoW Character Name: Legamir
battle.net: Orbicon#2701
Guild Wars 2 Account Name: Orbicon.4621

Unread postby Grandma » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:57 pm

Orbicon wrote:The free to play model for swtor is really restricive compared to guild wars 2. The only way to really enjoy swtor is to get a sub imo.

I must admit I have been debating on getting the expansion to swtor but I think I would only do this if other INC members was up for going back to a galaxy far far away....:wink:

Kerry is. I'm not. :)
Grandma
Community Leader(MIR)
Community Leader(MIR)

Blog: View Blog (5)
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:9730917
Origin Account Name: madadamuk
InGame CSS Name: |INC| Grandma
Playstation Network Username: MadAdamUk
battle.net: madadamuk#2560
Guild Wars 2 Account Name: grandma.5296
Twitter: madadamuk
iMessage_id: admin@inc-gaming-clan.com

Unread postby Half-bak3d » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:09 pm

Unless I was going to sub - I wouldn't go back f2p limitations just destroy the game from what I've seen. I've yet to hear of/see anything that makes me want to sub again tbh.

Shame, as I used to love that game. I haven't really got into Gw2 in anywhere near the same way as I did SWTOR.
Half-bak3d
Lives Here
Lives Here

Unread postby Alaru » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:28 pm

Don't get me wrong I do like gw2 but I loved swtor more, have been looking on dulfy and looking at the class changes in swtor too and I'm in the same boat as orb, would love to play it again but there's not much point on your own.....I think they're going the right way as content is concerned but maybe they need a little more to give us all that push to really consider it!
Alaru
|INC| WoW Officer
|INC| WoW Officer

Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:21977446
Origin Account Name: kezylou85
InGame CSS Name: KF Turtle
Twitter: kezy85

Unread postby Half-bak3d » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:39 am

Actually spent a fair bit of time on swtor.com and such last night - and am now going to add my voice to Orb and Kerry's. Would go back if there was a big enough group of us. Kinda miss the game and it looks like its had a fair bit of forward momentum.

Generally it seems that despite the awful launch period, they've continued working on improvements and haven't focused solely on the ftp money making scheme.

IMO there's nothing that's happened recently that I've seen/aware of that can beat the Ops (as frustrating as they sometimes were) for terms of enjoyment and fun.
Half-bak3d
Lives Here
Lives Here

Unread postby Orbicon » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:00 pm

The only game that I know of that will offer Raids will be Wildstar.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/ ... _raids.php

As far as I know Elder of Scrolls online will not have any raids but will have 5 man dungeons similar to Guild Wars 2.

At the moment I'm loving Gw2 but I do miss raids. Even tho I was crap at leading them :wink:
Orbicon
|INC| WoW Officer
|INC| WoW Officer

Unread postby Grandma » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:48 pm

Raids were indeed the only things I miss and enjoyed from SWTOR that I can't get the feeling from GW2 on. That said, I really don't wish to play it on F2P basis due to the ridiculous restrictions and there is no chance of me wanting a sub again for it based no the amount of effort I don't feel they've put in and the amount that was promised and never delivered when I was paying a sub.

Still, if there's enough of you desiring it, afaik the guild is still setup although I know leadership passed to Lainedil previously. Whether or not he still has it or not I don't know - you'd obviously be welcome to join that and to be an officer/leader role there Orbicon - as the most senior member from the MMO portion that has shown interest in re-establishing a level of play there.
Grandma
Community Leader(MIR)
Community Leader(MIR)

Blog: View Blog (5)
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:9730917
Origin Account Name: madadamuk
InGame CSS Name: |INC| Grandma
Playstation Network Username: MadAdamUk
battle.net: madadamuk#2560
Guild Wars 2 Account Name: grandma.5296
Twitter: madadamuk
iMessage_id: admin@inc-gaming-clan.com

Unread postby Orbicon » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:20 pm

Thanks Grandma but like you i do have my restraints about paying for a sub every month. It is really the only thing that puts me off playing Swtor and WoW. Guild Wars 2 really puts alot MMO's to shame with their free to play model. Mind you that Mining pick axe was at least a months worth sub...... :oops:

Also just to say if was to play Swtor again I would not go back to Knights Reign. Althought I had a great time there and made some good friends. I feel INC is my home and where I belong...better stop as i'm starting to choke up :cry:
Orbicon
|INC| WoW Officer
|INC| WoW Officer

Unread postby Half-bak3d » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:51 am

In terms of effort and service provided, I would say that GW2 wins over SWTOR, but in terms of the game style - I just can't get into GW2 in the same way. As a result, the only way the Gw2 Financial model benefits me is that I can pop on it periodically to get involved in some stuff, and not worry about maintaining a sub for the extended periods its not even installed on my PC.

The way I see it is that I've been away long enough from SWTOR for there to be enough changes and additional content to potentially get me involved and motivated in the game again. It was generally the lack of content, and some disappointing failed promises that put me off. Combine that with the disgust at their planned F2P model sent me packing.

My experience of GW2 is that it was a rediculous grind for me to get my first character to 80, and I have no aspirations of doing another. I know there's quicker ways if I'm willing to pay or grind the materials on my existing 80 (Crafting my way up) but as I've yet to fully grasp and enjoy the combat mechanics I have no motivation whatsoever.

Another factor is the storyline and its delivery in SWTOR is unbeatable IMO. Even on your 2nd or 3rd run there were still missions you wouldn't spam spacebar if you had the chance because there was some epic dialogue. Also consider that I didn't get all my characters to 50, especially not a trooper - and it still offers me what many of you already achieved

GW2 doesn't have Twi'leks either.

Good to hear you're enjoying INC so much Orb :) Will have a bit more research and thought on whether I'm going to sub - and will let you all know if I will in the coming days/week.
Half-bak3d
Lives Here
Lives Here

Previous

Return to SWTOR Chat