It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:45 pm

SWTOR Chat

SWTOR goes Free to Play

Moderators: |INC| Clan Leaders (MIR), |INC| SWTOR Officers

SWTOR goes Free to Play

Unread postby Grandma » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:47 am

It's finally come about. SWTOR is now free to play.

You will be able to play one of two ways - either as a subscriber with 150 cartel coins per month and no limits on features or free to play to 50 with cartel coins purchasable for additional bits and bobs.

For all those that have been subscribed up till now you will receive 150 cartel coins per month you have paid for (lapsed and subscribed) and then 200 coins for the month of august before the free to play option goes live. That's going to be around 1250 coins for players who have been subbed since launch and an additional bonus for collectors of 1000 coins.

Supposedly they are also going to roll out more frequent updates - although I should remind you this was said back in march that it would be every month and we've only seen one update since then.

Will this be a good thing - hopefully it'll get some more people back into the game as it won't cost them to play any more, but I think it's also a sign of admission that they didn't do as well as they hoped. Personally I've felt a little let down by promises of content that never came.

Should also point out they had the EA investors meeting not long ago and they were reluctant to mention numbers of subscribers at all. Originally this game started out with close to 2mil players and really had a strong and positive reaction. By march this had dropped to 1.3mil, they have now said that the game has less than a million but "well over 500k". To me that means it's also less than 600k else they'd have worded it differently. This will also include those accounts that are playing free to 15.

Here's the breakdown of free vs subbed. Only subbed players can play ops. Great.

f2p.PNG
Grandma
Community Leader(MIR)
Community Leader(MIR)

Blog: View Blog (5)
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:9730917
Origin Account Name: madadamuk
InGame CSS Name: |INC| Grandma
Playstation Network Username: MadAdamUk
battle.net: madadamuk#2560
Guild Wars 2 Account Name: grandma.5296
Twitter: madadamuk
iMessage_id: admin@inc-gaming-clan.com

{ SO_SELECT }

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Digg Digg Share on Delicious Delicious

Re: SWTOR goes Free to Play

Unread postby Garro » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:57 am

Well this is going to save me £8.99 a month!
Garro

Unread postby Grandma » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:36 am

Something else to be aware of:

What happens if I decide to change from being a subscription player to a Free-to-Play member? What will happen to my credits, inventory, bank items, and characters?

Your account will automatically be downgraded and it will operate under the Free player restrictions. You will need to choose what items to keep with you within the restriction levels of the free access. Furthermore, you will be able to see, but not use, your excess credits, inventory slots, bank tabs, and extra characters.
Grandma
Community Leader(MIR)
Community Leader(MIR)

Unread postby Garro » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:44 am

Right, it won't be saving me £8.99 a month then.
Garro

Unread postby Grandma » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:50 am

That hints at something not already mentioned. Along the lines of only so many characters on a free account, only allowed so many credits, only so much inventory, only so many bank tabs. For the majority of us we'd lose most of what we have. Wouldn't surprise me if the credit limit was around 500k and the inventory and bank limits half of inventory and 1 bank tab.
Grandma
Community Leader(MIR)
Community Leader(MIR)

Unread postby Garro » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:55 am

I've had experience with this on STO. If it's anything like Perfect Worlds FTP model, which is arguably the most successful, then you are indeed correct Gran we would be severely limited on all of the above aspects. This would in turn cause you to buy more 'Cartel Credits' which will no doubt give you the option to purchase more character slots etc as well.
Garro

Unread postby Dipsy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:01 pm

Very excited, have been playing on a trial so will be good to get it :)
Dipsy
CSS Member
CSS Member

Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:51690877
InGame CSS Name: Dipsy <3

SWTOR goes Free to Play

Unread postby Chuckie » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:03 am

Deffo getting this bad boy!
Chuckie
CSS Member
CSS Member

Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:15712772
InGame CSS Name: ChuckieRAWR
Playstation Network Username: Chuckie2602
Twitter: @Keo26
iMessage_id: dankeogh@live.co.uk

Unread postby Grandma » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:20 pm

I should say whilst free to play, the game will still cost a one-off price of $15 - no idea in pounds, but you can always buy it through a proxy at that price and use the code in the UK just fine ;)

Considering just how much of the game you can play for that though - it'll be well worth it, even if you just treat it like a single player game.
Grandma
Community Leader(MIR)
Community Leader(MIR)

Unread postby Grandma » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:16 pm

My second and last cancellation message:

I only re-subbed for one month to get some free cartel coins as I was considering playing it as free to play and didn't want to miss out on a chunk of them. However, I read out the list of restrictions on the F2P accounts over teamspeak to our guild and we could not believe just how wrongly you've judged your customers.

I doubt this will be around as a game by middle of next year. This from the person who convinced most of his friends and 100+ guild to join the game. We've all gone guild wars, as have the guilds we made an alliance with in-game.

We loved it, it had so much potential and I think that everything you've done after the rakghoul event has been considerably detrimental - or should I say lack of things you've done. Guild Wars don't want a sub and are doing major content patches every month - like with actual bulk of content unlike SWTOR.

May sound annoyed and it is. Bitter taste left by this game. The bitter taste of disappointment. Like when you look at an A* student that has become a crack addict and is homeless.
Grandma
Community Leader(MIR)
Community Leader(MIR)

Unread postby Half-bak3d » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:18 pm

love the crack addict comment!

and we could no believe it? is that you trying to be scottish or just a typo?
Half-bak3d
Lives Here
Lives Here

Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:00000000

Unread postby flaming badger » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:36 am

Free-to-Play is Coming on November 15th

Today we are excited to announce that the global launch date of the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Free-to-Play option will be November 15, 2012. This release will be simultaneous across all of the territories and countries The Old Republic™ is available.

If you’re a paying Subscriber at the launch of the Free-to-Play option on November 15th, you will be granted all of the Complimentary Cartel Coins currently listed on your Cartel Coin Ledger page, plus a one-time grant of 250 Complimentary Cartel Coins!

Additionally, we are extending the Rewards Program! All former subscribers who reactivate their subscription by the new date of December 20, 2012 at 11:59pm CST will be granted Complimentary Cartel Coins for their prior paid months up to November 15, 2012. For more information on all of the rewards you could potentially receive, visit http://www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com/FREE.

As always, be sure to check StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com for latest updates and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20121108
"He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy"!
flaming badger
|INC| Subscriber
|INC| Subscriber

Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:7511340
InGame CSS Name: flaming badger

Unread postby Half-bak3d » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:03 am

That's all fine and dandy with free cartel coins. but what am I going to spend them on? I can't see much in the way of additional content coming that will make it worth playing again any time soon.
Half-bak3d
Lives Here
Lives Here

Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:00000000

Unread postby NeveN » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:46 am

november 15th eh, same day as the NGE hit SWG in 2005... bad day for star wars based games really!
Triggers renewal of skin cells, reducing the pain and fatigue in the legs caused by prolonged standing or varicose veins.

Neven gel applied several times a day in painful places, and gently massaged.
NeveN
CSS Member
CSS Member

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:12226261
InGame CSS Name: |INC| NeveN

Unread postby Tinxie » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:42 pm

My dad just bought me a game time card and now its free -.- lol
Tinxie
CSS Member
CSS Member

Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:3916251