It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:02 am

Rules Discussion

English Only On Mics - Disucussion

Discuss our rules and regulations here, campaign for a rule change if you feel it is deserved. This relates to all games.

Moderators: |INC| Clan Leaders (MIR), |INC| Events Team (ET)

English Only On Mics - Disucussion

Unread postby Jomonay » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:30 pm

It has just occured to me that this rule is a little flawed. For example, we don't have any warnings in any other languages except from English, which seems a little counter productive.

Also, we need to make our stance clear with regards to whether we should break up convo's or not; my proposal is to have it so if they are seemingly just talking, then we let it be. However, if they are shouting, making stupid noises or whatnot then they be asked to stop. Stopping people from having a chat just because they don't speak english is a little draconian.

I'm open to suggestion and amendments.
Richard Cranium wrote:Have a party on his face and invite your anus.

New tracks uploaded semi-regularly: http://soundcloud.com/jomonay
Jomonay
CSS Member
CSS Member

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:17356311
InGame CSS Name: |INC| Jomonay
Twitter: Jomonay

{ SO_SELECT }

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Digg Digg Share on Delicious Delicious

Re: English Only On Mics - Disucussion

Unread postby Flik » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:36 pm

I had always assumed the rule was because we can't monitor what they're saying if they're on mic. Least if it's written in chat we can always run it through translate and we have a record of it.

But I agree that by not having the rule in different languages then it is difficult.

Flik
CSS Member
CSS Member

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:25558072
InGame CSS Name: Flik

Unread postby Bennevis » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:32 pm

I agree with if there just talking bit but when you try to talk they talk over and you can't get them to stop talking. Sometimes when i tell them to speak english only on mic they just give abuse or just talk over me/you.
Bennevis
Banned
Banned

Banned User
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:6369786
InGame CSS Name: Bennevis

Unread postby Grandma » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:37 pm

Flik wrote:I had always assumed the rule was because we can't monitor what they're saying if they're on mic. Least if it's written in chat we can always run it through translate and we have a record of it.
t.

It was more for this reason.

It is completely impractical to have the warnings in a variety of languages and the only way to do it would be with a plugin. I would say that about 99% of our guests understand english though and others on the server quickly tend to point out the rule to them if they don't.
Grandma
Community Leader(MIR)
Community Leader(MIR)

Blog: View Blog (5)
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:9730917
Origin Account Name: madadamuk
InGame CSS Name: |INC| Grandma
Playstation Network Username: MadAdamUk
battle.net: madadamuk#2560
Guild Wars 2 Account Name: grandma.5296
Twitter: madadamuk
iMessage_id: admin@inc-gaming-clan.com

Unread postby flaming badger » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:48 pm

I don't mind a bit of foreign speak, but I will always step in if someone complains about it. I have often gone on the servers and there have been almost exclusively German player on. If I was to start using my admin against them they would leave and the server would empty, however I can see the argument that english speakers may leave on joining....

It's an odd one tbh, I feel that using your best judgement is the most sensible option. If there are loads of english on and a minority are disrupting it go ahead and mute. But clearing a server is always a bad idea. SOOOOO...

If there are only German players on leave it be, but if there are English on the servers mute them following ENGLISH warnings. If they can't understand any English they shouldn't be playing an English server. There are plenty of German ones, and we cannot be held responsible for things we cannot understand.
"He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy"!
flaming badger
|INC| Subscriber
|INC| Subscriber

Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:7511340
InGame CSS Name: flaming badger

Unread postby Grandma » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:56 pm

flaming badger wrote:I don't mind a bit of foreign speak, but I will always step in if someone complains about it. I have often gone on the servers and there have been almost exclusively German player on. If I was to start using my admin against them they would leave and the server would empty, however I can see the argument that english speakers may leave on joining....

It's an odd one tbh, I feel that using your best judgement is the most sensible option. If there are loads of english on and a minority are disrupting it go ahead and mute. But clearing a server is always a bad idea. SOOOOO...

If there are only German players on leave it be, but if there are English on the servers mute them following ENGLISH warnings. If they can't understand any English they shouldn't be playing an English server. There are plenty of German ones, and we cannot be held responsible for things we cannot understand.

This is identical to my views on the subject. I've just looked through and whilst this rule is in place on the servers it is one that escaped the written up rules for some reason, so lets use this thread to write out a full and abridged version of what we want for the rule.
Grandma
Community Leader(MIR)
Community Leader(MIR)

Unread postby Smithy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:12 pm

to be honest what i most enjoy about INC servers is the english only
it is a english server so i think it should be english only on the mic.

this rule has been always there and even all the german players on italy have finally accepted that as far as i could see.
they might have smaller chats like hello and how are you but they keep it to a minimum. which is ok

about the info in different languages
-> grans point every1 has english in school here and should be able to understand the basics.
if not theres loads of people who can explain it.
Smithy
Lives Here
Lives Here

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:10638255
InGame CSS Name: Smithy / got Knife?

Unread postby flaming badger » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:53 pm

Well put it this way smithy, I had a German player on earlier and he decided to swear in Polish. Knowing most understand English is of little help when they start using multiple languages. If they hadn't have left they would have felt the wrath of my warnings, mute, kick and ban, but with the server populated by only German members if his chat had been clean I wouldn't have done a thing.

I think that we need to keep a rule as simple as possible with regards to Grans post.

English only on mics unless the server is populated solely by gamers from another country. Greetings and goodbyes are allowed, no exceptions to other chat. If an admin is unsure of you language they may mute kick or ban for repeated offences, please take no offence in this the admins are only following the rules.

I think this as a rule would cover all bases.
"He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy"!
flaming badger
|INC| Subscriber
|INC| Subscriber

Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:7511340
InGame CSS Name: flaming badger

Unread postby Smithy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:38 am

i just dont think its clever to make exceptions when there are i.e. only german players on to let them talk german.

if they come on later with many english players and then get asked to stop it they will start arguing that it was allowed earlier.

this could alse lead to a bigger problem that they will come to the servers in bigger bunches so that they are allowed to talk in theyr native language.

in my eyes that would just couse more problems than a strict english only rule.
Smithy
Lives Here
Lives Here

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:10638255
InGame CSS Name: Smithy / got Knife?

Unread postby Grandma » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:29 am

flaming badger wrote:English only on mics unless the server is populated solely by gamers from another country.If an admin is unsure of you language they may mute kick or ban for repeated offences, please take no offence in this the admins are only following the rules.

Smithy wrote:i just dont think its clever to make exceptions when there are i.e. only german players on to let them talk german.

if they come on later with many english players and then get asked to stop it they will start arguing that it was allowed earlier.

this could alse lead to a bigger problem that they will come to the servers in bigger bunches so that they are allowed to talk in theyr native language.

in my eyes that would just couse more problems than a strict english only rule.

I think both of these are good points and are what I've always enforced tbh. In terms of a rule on the server I think it should be left as is "English only on microphones", but that in our admin guide booklet it should be added in that admins should take into consideration the number of players that are using that language over the mic in comparison to those not to better serve the interests of the majority on the server at that time.

There's no point in telling them all they can't and have them leave as that helps no-one. You'll likely not stay on then either as the server will be empty. Whilst they are our servers, we should remember that without people on them they're not worth that much either ;).
Grandma
Community Leader(MIR)
Community Leader(MIR)

Unread postby Sobhana123 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:30 am

hi there.. really nice information.. i was looking for this since a long time…really appreciate the amount of work which you have put into to it.. thanks for sharing.
ISO 14001 in Qatar
Sobhana123
A Cautious Visitor
A Cautious Visitor

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:00000000

Return to Rules Discussion