It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:08 am

Advice, Rigs & Upgrades

GPU Upgrade

Moderators: |INC| Clan Leaders (MIR), |INC| Events Team (ET)

GPU Upgrade

Unread postby BlingBlingPenguin » Thu May 28, 2015 12:07 pm

I'm looking into a GPU upgrade. I'd like to stay with the Radeon range of graphics cards and was looking at getting a GTX 960 with a view to buying a second one further down the line.

I have a pre-built Zoostorm PC which cost me £900 6 months ago. I got it with Littlewoods as they were the only place I could get credit at the time. Also bought 2 24" monitors for £300 from them which were surprisingly very reasonably priced for a catalogue firm.

This is my current setup up inside the box:

Gigabyte B85-HD3 Mobo
500W PSU (Don't know the brand)
GT 740 GPU
8GB DDR3 (Again brand unknown)
2TB HDD

I'm not great with knowledge hardware wise but know enough to get me through over the years. I'd just like a few more opinions/advice before I go spending my dosh.
BlingBlingPenguin
|INC| Member
|INC| Member

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:118392737
InGame CSS Name: BlingPenguin

{ SO_SELECT }

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Digg Digg Share on Delicious Delicious

Re: GPU Upgrade

Unread postby DJRenegade » Thu May 28, 2015 3:33 pm

BlingBlingPenguin wrote:I'm looking into a GPU upgrade. I'd like to stay with the Radeon range of graphics cards and was looking at getting a GTX 960 with a view to buying a second one further down the line.

I'm not great with knowledge hardware wise but know enough to get me through over the years. I'd just like a few more opinions/advice before I go spending my dosh.

Yea I can tell ;) - The GTX 960 is nVidia GeForce, not AMD Radeon ;)

Personally I would go one card higher and get the GTX 970, I know you were talking about buying a second 960 eventually and running them SLi but a single card will outperform SLi in gaming and other tasks (unless it is a lot better now) and the 960 in SLi will cost you ~£50 more than a single 970. You could always SLi the 970 if you really need to a couple of years down the line when required and the 970 drops even more in price. (although there would be a single better card by then)
For £100 extra it will last you longer, I reckon for AAA games the 960 might last you a year or so but the 970 is more future proof.
Rene is the best!!
Add me on steam!

DJRenegade
|INC| CSS Server Rep
|INC| CSS Server Rep

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:23510986
InGame CSS Name: DJ Renegade
Playstation Network Username: DJRenegade10
XBOX Live Gamertag: DJRenegade07

Unread postby BlingBlingPenguin » Thu May 28, 2015 3:37 pm

DJRenegade wrote:
BlingBlingPenguin wrote:I'm looking into a GPU upgrade. I'd like to stay with the Radeon range of graphics cards and was looking at getting a GTX 960 with a view to buying a second one further down the line.

Yea I can tell ;) - The GTX 960 is nVidia GeForce, not AMD Radeon ;)

Personally I would go one card higher and get the GTX 970, I know you were talking about buying a second 960 eventually and running them SLi but a single card will outperform SLi in gaming and other tasks (unless it is a lot better now) and the 960 in SLi will cost you ~£50 more than a single 970. You could always SLi the 970 if you really need to a couple of years down the line when required and the 970 drops even more in price. (although there would be a single better card by then)
For £100 extra it will last you longer, I reckon for AAA games the 960 might last you a year or so but the 970 is more future proof.

Doh. :lol: You know what I meant! Yeah I had considered it. The 980 is probably more than I'd like to spend on a card. I'd be pushing it with the 970, but I think once I've got it installed I'd feel it's money well spent. Regards to the PSU, upgrade or no?
BlingBlingPenguin
|INC| Member
|INC| Member

Unread postby DJRenegade » Thu May 28, 2015 3:39 pm

Hang on I am confused now. So you were looking at the 970 and not the 960?? You said 960 in your original post, if it was the 970 you were looking at then yes you picked a good card :P

I would always upgrade unbranded shit, its normally chinese made and wank!!

I am not big on PSUs and working out the power needed, but this should be sufficient.
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/550w-cor ... x-v292-psu
Rene is the best!!
Add me on steam!

DJRenegade
|INC| CSS Server Rep
|INC| CSS Server Rep

Unread postby BlingBlingPenguin » Thu May 28, 2015 4:28 pm

DJRenegade wrote:Hang on I am confused now. So you were looking at the 970 and not the 960?? You said 960 in your original post, if it was the 970 you were looking at then yes you picked a good card :P

I would always upgrade unbranded shit, its normally chinese made and wank!!

I am not big on PSUs and working out the power needed, but this should be sufficient.
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/550w-cor ... x-v292-psu

No I was looking at the 960 because of the price. I could get one of those with little guilt that I've spent too much money and receive a reasonable amount of productive gratification in the quality of the card. If I bought the 970, I'd feel more guilty, but that would probably pass once I see how awesome it is. You've pulled my arm. I'm going with the 970 + PSU upgrade :lol:
BlingBlingPenguin
|INC| Member
|INC| Member

Unread postby DJRenegade » Thu May 28, 2015 5:25 pm

good stuff
There are PSU calculators online where you input the system details and it tells you the PSU wattage to get. 550 SHOULD be enough but chack it just in case :)
Rene is the best!!
Add me on steam!

DJRenegade
|INC| CSS Server Rep
|INC| CSS Server Rep

Unread postby Sobhana123 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:21 am

hi. I don,t now in this topic please tell me any one thanks for sharing.
ISO 14001 in Qatar
Sobhana123
A Cautious Visitor
A Cautious Visitor

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:00000000

Return to Advice, Rigs & Upgrades